Marji Hanson is a highly experienced bankruptcy attorney with Watton Law Group. Having spent most of her life in Utah, she is proud to practice out of our Salt Lake City office location. Like everyone at Watton Law Group, Attorney Hanson has an earnest interest in showing people the potential for positive outcomes through bankruptcy relief and how to utilize this important legal tool effectively.
Marji attended school in Davis County and began her higher education at the University of Utah. After graduation, she worked in Southern California in the telecommunications industry for several years. She returned home to Utah to complete her law degree at the S.J. Quinney School of Law in Salt Lake City.
From the beginning of her legal career, Attorney Hanson was involved in complex bankruptcy cases and proceedings where she represented Chapter 7 trustees, Chapter 11 debtors and secured creditors. She cemented her in-depth understanding of both debtor and creditor rights in bankruptcy during the time she spent as a law clerk to United States Bankruptcy Judge Judith A. Boulden. Marji worked closely with Judge Boulden to prepare draft decisions, orders, and opinions of the Court. After completing her clerkship, Marji represented the Chapter 13 Trusteeship as trustee’s counsel for five years before starting her own practice.
Based on her long experience and dedication to her profession, Attorney Hanson has earned leadership positions in several professional organizations and forums. She is a former president of the Women Lawyers of Utah, a former vice president of the Utah Bankruptcy Lawyers’ Forum, and a current board member of the Utah Bar Foundation. Marji also works on a committee to improve the curriculum for financial literacy courses taught in Utah high schools.
Attorney Marji Hanson successfully managed her own law firm for many years. In her own firm, she focused on complex Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases that involved eligibility challenges, reorganization-versus-liquidation comparisons, asset protection, and alternative debt resolutions. Watton Law Group is excited for her to be able to bring her varied experiences and wealth of insight to all the cases that she handles for our clients today.
When she has time to unwind, Marji spends time keeping up with her four daughters and enjoying scenic Utah.
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City (B.S.)
- S.J. Quinney College of Law, Salt Lake City (J.D.)
- Young Alumna of the Year (1997)
- Utah Bar Foundation, board member
- Bar Examiners Committee, member
- Utah Bar Character and Fitness Committee, former member
- University of Utah College of Law Journal Alumni Association, former trustee and chairperson
- Utah Bankruptcy Lawyers’ Forum, former trustee and vice president
- Women Lawyers of Utah, former trustee and president
- The Basics of Chapter 7 and 13, National Business Institute
- Solo Firm Pitfalls and Practice Pointers, Women Lawyers of Utah Fall Retreat
- Chapter 7 and 13 Bankruptcy: Line-by-line Workshop, National Business Institute
- What Every Family Needs to Know About Bankruptcy Law, Utah State Bar Annual Family Law Seminar
- Beginners Guide to Bankruptcy, Women Lawyers of Utah